About Me

I believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins, so that I can have everlasting life!! I am going to show the world God's Love by becoming a Counterterrorism Analyst with the National Security Agency then becoming a congressman for the state of Washington.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Reflection Letter

I have found who I am through this first year of college. My name is David Chitwood, but I go by my middle name Mitchel. I have found that my true self is that I am a follower of Jesus Christ and nothing can ruin this. This first year of college has been a struggle, but with my faith in Him I can do all things. What would someone need to know about me before reading my works? I always stay true to myself. I stay strong to my opinions, but I am open to hearing others’ as well. My opinions will play an important role in my education. I have three major career goals for my life, and these goals are: a counterterrorism analyst, senator of Washington, and President of the United States. Not only will my opinions play an important role; being myself, the person God made me, will also be just as important.
This quarter has been different then the last two quarters. I have grown in understanding the terms of community, identity, and tradition. These traits play an important role in our every day lives. In the identity unit, I was able to be myself and analyze myself. Like I have said many times before, I am a believer that Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins and rose on the third day to conquer death so that I can have everlasting life with Him in heaven. Then moving into the community unit it was a struggle. I am still trying to comprehend “community”. Being a runner for the last seven years, I have run into the running community. This helped me form the conclusion that community is a group of people who have similar likes and dislikes representing those likes and dislikes. Moving into the tradition unit, I felt this could have been the hardest for me…especially when I decided to write about family time for my tradition essay. My family doesn’t have any family time and it hurts me emotionally, but it is fact that the DVR has brought my family together and brings back the tradition of watching family shows and movies.
For the intermission unit, I chose to watch the film Rabbit Proof Fence. This movie represented many different issues and traits, but the one trait that stood out to me was courage. The girls are almost home and the tracker is getting closer to finding them when he then comes across the girls’ mother. The tracker has a gun in hand and the mother has a spear in her hand. The mother begins walking closer to the man threatening to stab him with the spear. The tracker then stumbles over bushes as he tries to back away and eventually runs off. This showed me that no matter who you are, you can take a stand and make a difference.
Later on you will be reading pieces of my work from throughout the quarter. Some of these pieces are my best and others are in need of improvement. For the first one that you will come across is the critical thinking topic. I chose the Movie Talk Discussion Board post on that I made on the movie Rabbit Proof Fence. I felt that this piece of discussion showed how I critically think about a certain movie. I stated two scenes from the movie that played an important role in my critical analysis. The first scene will bring up the issue of taking away someone’s identity through the removal of their native language. The second scene will show how courage can take one to new limits. The next topic is the revision piece (I had many to choose from). I chose a different piece then most students; I chose the very first Discussion Board post in the Coming Attractions Unit. As you will read, I felt that the issue of gendered messages has been impacting my life ever since I let people know I am head over heels for CĂ©line Dion. The third piece of my writing is in the category of Voice and Audience. I chose my “What’s in Your Wallet?” blog posting. I felt I really captured the audience’s attention and held on to it. The most important thing on this posting for me was to be humorous, serious, and me. The fourth and final piece of work was the writer’s, my, choice and I chose the tradition essay. This was a very personal essay for me because I don’t write about my family much in regards to feeling like I am not recognized anymore. But on the other hand, I feel this was my strongest essay of the year, even though the grade wasn’t as high as I had hoped, I still felt I did everything to make my point clear that the Digital Video Recorder has saved my family in keeping “family time” alive.
My final thoughts about this quarter have to be; never give up. This was my first online class and it was a challenge and different, but it also had a positive side. I was able to focus more on my writing and I was able to interact with everyone in the class rather than just a couple. I found that it is best to keep going rather than staying frustrated with it. For example, the identity essay. I was having the hardest time trying to come up with ideas that I could write off of. Unfortunately, the right idea never came into mind and my essay grade and essay itself suffered. Towards the end we were talking about pop culture and that is why this quote from Steven Tyler, off of American Idol, is alright to mention, “It’s not about how many times you fall down. It’s about how many times you get back up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment